Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mouthy Stitches Part 2....

As you all know I have been joining in with the girls on Flickr in making a zippy pouch for my secret partner.
There have been some fantastic pouches made and love to see everyones ideas and designs.
I wanted to try something different but as I have a very experienced sewer, I have been a little scared that my skills at the good old zips would not be the greatest.

So this is my first attempt at a pouch.  
Front
Back












Now I  did get a response from her but it wasn't the most exciting response, so was a little worried that it was a bit to bold and .....pink.  I don't think I am that crash hot on it myself and then this happened....


The zip was a disaster. 
  1. I had to cut a zip down to size to fit the pouch. 
  2. I think I sewed the seams about 1/2 an inch so the bulk of the three fabrics and batting really is why I can't do much with the corners. 
  3. The pouch looks a bit silly as both ends at the top are not square.
I've had a good few responses letting me know that there is nothing wrong with it. But when you are not 100% happy..........
Maybe this is why I have never put anything up on my etsy store that I make as I always find something that may not be perfect  with my quilts and would hate to think someone would not be happy with a purchase. ( I really need to get over this, don't I!!)

So yesterday after umming over it all week, I decided to make another.
Front
Back


And look I think I got it this time!


The new pouch came out quite large...I think about 10"x 9". I think you would be able to fit a kindle in it.
 I made it around my 10" zip that I had.  No messing it up this time.

 
My third pouch was another practise with a cheap zip.
Now my secret Mouthy Partner will have to decide which one she likes best. But as for me I'll be putting the zips away for a little while  and go back to making quilts.


Erin

15 comments:

  1. they are very cute Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful! There is bound to be something there that your partner loves. I too had a disaster when cutting a zip to fit - I need a lot more experience before I try that again :( I have a mini crush on each of them - love the colors of the bottom left, the piecing in the bottom right and the size of the top. They're all lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they both look great, Erin! You did excellent on that second set of zip ends. Wish mine would come out that good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this one better than the other less pink is good !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin do remember that whoever is lucky enough to get your pouch will be using it to carry stuff around in not looking at the zip ends! It would be a disaster if that was all they were worried about but there is a lot more in your pouch to appreciate than that! Love them all for different reasons!

    And don't put the zips away try some other designs you may prefer and work your way through it as I know you can master them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are ALL fabulous! None of us can do perfect and we certainly don't expect it in return either. I really like the larger one, as I would have a purpose in mind for it, but I would be tickled pink to receive any of these! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they all turned out great, but I find the last one is the best with all those cute fabrics (love the cherry bloosom fabric!). I dont think anyone can expect more effort than you making THREE pouches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle with zipper ends and that is why I didn't sign up to the swap. Personally I wouldn't be grumbling at receiving any of these beauties. The problem would be choosing. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, I think they are great. I loved the colours in your 1st one and the zip ends arn't a disaster. I see that even my partner commented on your first pouch and she has hardly commented on anything, including mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW those zip ends are perfect!! I love all 3 of your pouches but the fabric in the last one is so cute :) Who wouldn't love that?!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a bit bonkers - cutting zips is all part of the fun!
    I love them both xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. erin these are all gorgeous! well done you for trying out zips I have never attempted them and really don't intend to anytime soon! I would be over the moon to receive any of these beautiful pouches! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fabulous, your partner will be thrilled with any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the first pouch, but the last one with linen! I love that! I really love that little piece of red fabric at the zipper! Great job. They are all great and swap (and etsy) worthy!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and do try my best to reply to them all.