Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Free Motion Quilting- Chipped Square Tiles.

I was looking forward to trying out this weeks FMQ task.  I can see myself using these tiles on a quilt in the future...but as you can see a bit more practise will be needed.



I turned down my speed and put my length of stitch on 0 and off I went. The top row was started in the middle of the piece but by the third row, I found it easier to sew the squares vertically rather than horizontally.
Again I did find if I lost concentration, or over concentrated on a tile, I would loose it and a chipped tile would be the end result...Ops!
My 5th and 6th row was trying out my creative impression of slate tiles...ordered and inspired to think outside of the box/tile by Rebecca at Making Rebecca Lynne.

Some are showing what gloves they use for FMQ this week.  I don't usually use any but tried the tiles out this week with my cotton gloves (no rubber tips) and found them ok to use.  I usually use these so I don't dirty my quilts while quilting, not for grip.

Sorry no socks today.
Am trying to finish up a few projects at the moment before I start any new quilts, so no other photos to show.
Anyone interested in linking up and trying out some FMQ, Check out Cindy's blog every Friday at Fluffy Sheep Quilting.

(Now in between starting to write this blog and getting photos uploaded, I have finished my Across the Sea Quilt...only a few weeks behind, so fingers crossed the sun comes out tomorrow for some photos.)

Thanks for dropping by.  Erin

15 comments:

  1. Love the crazy fabric keyboard, complete with fabric hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilting - I have wanted to join in the fmq Fridays but haven't made it yet. Congrats for getting your Across the Sea Quilt done - yay! Will be anxious to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Erin! Love the variations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading your posts about fmq'ing and think you're doing fabulous1

    ReplyDelete
  5. So neat and well squared off. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tiles, they look great! Can't wait to see your Across the Sea quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG you finished your ATC? Jealous. I really need to get on that...oops. Well I love your tiles, the keyboard, and such great thread against that really pops. I'm glad you also went out of the box and thank you so much for giving me a mention!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It made me think of a keyboard, too! What an interesting way to do FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tiles look great and your lines are really straight (I'm probably the only "straight line" challenged person).
    I hope to finish my across the see QAL this weekend too - but I just started quilting it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I like your interpretation of tiles more than the regular tiles. The mix of tiny to large is so much more interesting. Well done, you, thinking out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All looks great to me, looking forward to seeing the final ATC finished! Fi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great and I'm looking forward to reading the reveal post for ATS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks good Erin and I love the freestyling - I must get gloves!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally just made me think of a keyboard too! I like it and the thread colour too! great going and at least you managed an attempt I didn't :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. your red tiles are super! wouldn't that be fun of the holidays - reminds me of chimneys and christmas stockings!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and do try my best to reply to them all.